- Two in five people think canned food tastes worse than fresh food.
- People also believe canned food is less healthy (49%) or the same as fresh food (49%). Only 1% think it’s healthier.
- One in four people think canned food is poorer quality than fresh food.
- Over half of people believe the primary benefit of canned food is that it lasts longer than fresh food, while a quarter think it’s easier and fresher to prepare.
- The most commonly purchased canned foods are tomatoes (81%), beans and pulses (80%), and soup (72%). Rounding out the top five are fish (41%) and fruit (39%).
- 44% cook with canned/tinned food a few times a month, while 40% use them a few times a week.
- 40% would not be willing to pay more for canned food even if it provided the same quality as fresh food.
- 19% of people consider it very important to know where the ingredients of canned food comes from, whereas 26% find it very important for fresh food.
- Only 6% of people have canned their own food.
- 90% agree that too much food is wasted because it goes off too quickly.
7 January 2020
26 July 2019
11 April 2019