- The survey of almost 1,200 UK adults found salads were a favourite lunchtime eat with 42% of people frequently tucking into them.
- The second most popular option was wraps at 37%, with flatbreads coming in a close third at 36%.
- An adventurous 31% of people preferred sushi for lunch, though 25% were content with that old stalwart, the burger.
- Almost a quarter of people surveyed chose soups and pastas as their go to lunchtime meal, while 23% opted for pizza.
- However, when it came to the humble sandwich, 15% of people picked it as their favourite lunch.
- One in three people listed avocado as their top sandwich filler, followed by pulled pork at 32% and smoked salmon at 28%.
- Ham and cheese secured just 11% of the vote, followed by egg mayo with 9%.
- The research highlighted that millennials and Gen Zs are far more likely to choose artisanal lunches over sandwiches compared to middle-aged respondents.
Matt O’Halloran from Spitalfields Market said: “Street food is another trend we feel is contributing to this shift in eating habits. Spitalfields Market has been tracking increased footfall to its food stalls between 12 noon and 3pm during the past year, as local residents and professionals are becoming more adventurous in their food choices. We have also noticed a significant increase in clean eating with higher demand for options including vegan, vegetarian and gluten-free.”