As a frozen food specialist, it's perhaps not surprising that Iceland have got a more interesting seafood selection for Christmas than other retailers. The supermarket has also gone big on duck – both the real stuff and a vegan-friendly substitute.
A luxury spin has been put on a number of products, including one of the best-tasting vegan Christmas desserts this year: No Moo Chocolate Snowflake.
Snacks and Appetisers
Whole-shell Clams with a Chilli & Garlic Butter
This is just one of many seafood snacks appearing this year, alongside jumbo red shrimp wrapped in bacon as well as prawn lollipops with coconut and coriander.
The Main Event
Cod Loin Wrapped in Bacon
Just as prevalent in the mains as in the starters, seafood options also extend to a whole side of Atlantic salmon with orange slices and garden herb seasoning, and a smoked sliced salmon cured with salt and Demerara sugar.
Easy Carve Stuffed Duck with an Orange and Herb Stuffing topped with Orange Slices
Making things easy is the aim of the game for Iceland this year with two ‘easy carve’ birds fronting the main course section. The first is stuffed with festive flavours and the second is a frozen, boneless, skin-on turkey crown topped with herb and spices marinade in plastic-free packaging.
Bringing together all the best parts of Christmas dinner in a single portion pie, who could be lonesome this Christmas with turkey, a pig in blanket, sprouts, cranberries, smoked bacon, onions, peas, carrots and stuffing?
Veg / Vegan
No Duck Chinese Selection
Vegan/veggie selections have a strong East Asian spin this year – in particular, Chinese flavours predominate in SKUs like the No Duck Chinese Selection – mixed vegetable-based vegan canapes, sweet plum gyoza, hoisin pastry cones and Szechuan filo crackers – and the No Duck Spring Rolls: jackfruit and vegetables in hoisin Chinese-style spices.
Luxury 5 Gold Rings
Arguably the star of the show in Iceland’s dessert section, a dark chocolate gold shell is filled with Belgian dark chocolate mousse, salted caramel sauce and a dark chocolate cookie base. Comes with over a dark chocolate pouring sauce.
No Moo Chocolate Snowflakes
Chocolate desserts with a melt-in-the-middle caramel and coconut filling, this is the supermarket’s delicious vegan alternative.
Luxury Melt in the Middle Pudding
Toffee-flavoured sponge filled with salted caramel sauce and coated with dark chocolate ganache, topped with milk and dark chocolate, decorated with a dark chocolate snowflake and bronze lustre – another decadent offering.
More Christmas cheer:
- Tesco - The supermarket hopes to ensure there's something for every taste this Christmas.
- Waitrose - Inspiration comes from the nostalgia for old festive favourites.
- Marks and Spencer - Over 170 different items in the Christmas range, from festive crumpets to mushroom bao buns.
- The Co-op - Health and well-being, food provenance as well as free-from foods are top of mind.
- Asda - Miniature pub food and a pigs in blankets centrepiece are among the novel options.
- Lidl - Think plenty of old classics reimagined and increased decadence (but still at an affordable price).
- Aldi - Modestly priced options that still offer the opportunity to show off.
- Sparkie's top picks - A round-up of the most prevalent trends for 2019.